Trampolines can provide hours of entertainment and fun for the whole family – especially young children. However, having a trampoline on your property can also carry numerous liability risks. Specifically, if a visitor or loved one gets hurt while using your trampoline, you could potentially be held responsible for the cost of their injuries. To protect yourself from trampoline liability concerns, consider the following guidance:
- Always supervise all jumpers on the trampoline, regardless of their ages or experience levels.
- Restrict the number of jumpers permitted on the trampoline at one time.
- Don’t allow children under the age of 6 use the trampoline.
- Avoid pacing a ladder near the trampoline. Doing so could encourage younger children to climb it without permission and start jumping.
- Prohibit jumpers from doing somersaults of flips on the trampoline, as they could land on their necks or heads incorrectly and experience serious injuries.
- Never allow jumpers to use the trampoline as a way to jump onto other objects.
- Securely attach safety padding to cover the hooks, springs and frame of the trampoline.
- Set up the trampoline on level ground, away from trees and other obstacles.
- Install safety netting around a trampoline to provide proper fall protection.
- Inspect the trampoline before each use to make sure the springs are secure and that the bed doesn’t have any tears or holes. Don’t allow anyone to use the trampoline if it is damaged.
Attractive Nuisances Explained
Trampolines are considered attractive nuisances – items that are attractive and enticing to children. If kids are walking by your home and spot the trampoline in your backyard, they may be tempted to sneak onto it and start jumping. In the event that they suffer an injury on your property, you could ultimately be held liable.
To protect yourself, consider fencing in your yard and never allow unsupervised individuals to use the trampoline when you are not present. For more personal risk management guidance and homeowners insurance solutions, contact us today.